How Is Condo Insurance Difference from Homeowners Insurance?

If you live in a condo, you need to have a specific type of insurance that is different from regular home insurance. Someone at Foresee General Insurance Agency, Inc. of the Harrison, AR area can assist you. Here are some key points that you should keep in mind in regards to their differences.

You Own Different Parts of the Property

When you’re a homeowner, you own your entire house and the land that it’s on. With a condominium apartment, you only own parts of the building. The homeowners’ association has ownership of the hallways and roof as well as other common areas of the building. However, you might be asked to pay for damages that occur outside of your unit.

If damages from wind go beyond the homeowners’ association’s master policy, they may ask you and other condo owners to pay something towards it with your own condo insurance. In this instance, it would benefit you to have umbrella insurance as well since the amount of coverage typically is higher and it covers more risky situations.

Homeowners Insurance Tends to Cover More

On average, a home insurance policy tends to provide more coverage than condo insurance. For instance, if you have a fence on your property that’s been damaged from the wind, your home insurance likely will cover the damages. Pay attention to what’s offered with the master policy and your individual condo insurance to see if it’s a good idea for you to have home insurance on top of that.

Part of this is assessing your belongings and knowing what the coverage limits are if you were to lose any of them. It’s always good to take photos and estimate the value of some of the more valuable items in particular. Then you can go from there to determine how much extra coverage you’ll need.

Achieve greater peace of mind when you are prepared with the right type of insurance to fit your situation. Talk to an agent at Foresee General Insurance Agency, Inc. of the Harrison, AR region. Reach out to us today for more information.